Question
Posted by: Noodle | 2008/10/13

Gastric Binding

Hi Doc,

What is your opinion on the procedure : laparoscopic adjustable gastiric band ? (LAGB)

Are you for or against if so why ? your reasoning ? One doesn' t consider this just because of a whim, tests are done, you have to see a shrink, you have to adjust your lifestyle for afterwards, you are monitored afterwards, you have to see a dietician afterwards and follow ups etc....
there is also a support group where you can speak to people who have done the op and find out if they are happy with what they have been through, find out their struggles and pains etc.

The risks involved and the fear ?? I suppose that is what is stopping me from even considering it, I don' t know never wanted to do it before, I have though about this for ever, not the band but the gastric bypass and my answer to that was NO I would never do that to my body, but I don' t know about this ? they say it' s safer you can undo if it doesn' t work ???
what opinions are there?

Noodle

Dear Noodle
My opinion of the LAGB is that if a patient is morbidly obese and cannot lose weight with standard slimming diets and moderate exercise and if the obesity is threatening the patient's health and survival then this procedure is indicated. Nowadays there are the Bariatric Centres of Excellence that are doing good work in this field. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option if you have a great deal of weight to lose. Discuss your fears and find out what the risks are (they vary depending on the procedure and the patient) and then when you have all the info, make a well thought out decision.