Posted by: tillie | 2009-03-03

gastric banding and other options

I am 35 years old and weigh 106kg, i am insulin resistand and gain weight very quickly (up to 5kg a week sometimes) i do not eat a lot of food but obviously the wrong food. is gastric surgery a good option for me?

Dear Tillie
Gastric surgery may well be an option for you if your obesity is threatening your health and if you cannot lose weight with a balanced, low-fat, low-GI diet and medications like Glucophage for the insulin resistance. Extreme obesity is a criteria for gastric bypass surgery. For more information about such operations and the potential costs, contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at to discuss this option if you have a great deal of weight to lose.

Posted by: goodhealth | 2009-03-09

Tillie-please do not just go for a drastic option like gastric-bypass-
the side-effects may be worse than the problems you now experience. If you have a fax-nr and will be prepared to post it here( or your e-mail address) I may be able to refer you to a site where you will find info that can help make a healthy decision

Reply to goodhealth