Question
Posted by: anon | 2009-08-29

Garrido - Sex Offender

Hello CS hope you are keeping well.
I hope that all sex offenders are never let out of jail ever! It is obvious they can never be rehabilitated. We don' t need them walking this planet. What happened to that poor 11 yr old girl abducted by Garrido and his wife 18 years ago and then he rapes her and fathers two children with her who are now 11 and 15 yrs of age. They never went to school. He has robbed Jaycee Duggard of her childhood, he has robbed her of her life. What about the two girls lives the parents and extended families. This man and his wife must never ever get out of prison. He should receive the death penalty for what he did!

It is a total shame that the neighbours contacted the authorities to tip them off about children living in his backyard in tents and they never even inspected his property!

We in South Africa should also have a Sex Offender' s Registry where the public can see who the sex offenders are. I truly and honestly believe the world would be a far better place without rapists, murderers and paedophiles roaming about!

Thank you for allowing me to vent my anger and horror about the above case.

Keep well CS!

Vent, by all means.
Rehabilitation isnteasy to achieve or even often achieved, but it's not impossible. And though the awfulness of a man like Garrido obviously bothers us, one needs also to understand the wife of such a man who must have been in various ways aiding and abetting him, and protecting him.
I suspect this may turn out to be a more complex case than it appeared at first. He may indeed be seriously mentally disturbed now, so the question of his fitness to stand trial may arise ; and he more complex to assess issue would then be what his mental state was at the time of the original offense, as it may have changed. The wife may also be disturbed in medical terms, and might, for instance, show what is called Folie a Deux, which occurs when one strong-minded and psychotic or simply very personality-disordered person lives very closely with another person who is not strong-willed enough to resist and comes to share their delusions or simpl foul beliefs.
You raise the issue of a Sex Offenders Registerfor SA --- don't forget there WAS such a Register in America and he was on it --- and a fat lot of good that did ! To run such a system efficiently would be very expensive in terms of cash and resources, and a badl run system ( sadly, SA is full of badly-run systems ) may be worse than nothing if it creates a false sense of security.
There's no doubt that the world would be a better place without roaming rapists, murderers and so on, but nobody has devised an effective way of preventing that.