Posted by: Garnishee | 2009-08-09

Garnishee without my consent

Hi there. I applied for a loan in 2006 with one of the micro lenders and adn a year later i could not keep up with my payments and eventually i stopped completely due financial constrains. then what happened next, i got a garnishee which is been taken off my salary and i did not sign for it but my employer is taking the money out my salry every month for more than 12mths now. is that legal? The loan was R4000 and the amount that' s been taken off monthly is R800. Just realised they' ve now got more than double of their R4000. How can i dispute this? can i at all? I don' t know what to do but i feel i have to do something. please advise.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

A Garnishee is normally given after a proper a Magistrates Court Judgement. It is suggested that you investigate it. We are not commercial lawyers but only give labour advice.

Posted by: Sam | 2009-09-11

LOL. I' m a payroll administrator, and let me tell you that you are one of MANY employees who have a garnish deduction, I am paying a guy who has 6 garnishees being deducted every month. My best advice, don' t make bad debt!

Reply to Sam
Posted by: anon | 2009-08-14

A Garnishee order is given by the court stipulating how much must be deducted and how often. A garnishee order is almost ALWAYS without the consent of the person owing the money. You could go and see a debt counselor to see whether your debts can be restructured, but usually once a garnishee order is in place, the only way not to pay it, is to be unemployed.

Reply to anon