Question
Posted by: KARIEN | 2009/01/21

GARLIC FOR DOGS

I READ THE PREVIOUS POST REGARDING THIS - I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD THAT GARLIC, POTATOES AND CHOLOLATE ARE NO-NO FOR DOGS. WHAT NOW ? THANKS

Dear Karien

If you drink enough water it will kill you as well. Some dog food companies use potatoes not rice as a carb base. You get choc drops as treats for dogs. A few slices of garlic now and again have not killed a dog to date.

3
Posted by: Chill | 2009/01/22

You should switch between brands of de-fleaing stuff every now and then - I also found that Frontline stopped working properly, and switched to Advantage, which made a huge difference. Give the first dose together with a Capstar tablet, and watch them fall off and die! The fleas, that is.

Another home remedy I' ve heard of, and apparently it really works, although I' ve not tried it yet, is bitter aloe crystals, which you can get from a decent pharmacy or health food shop. Do NOT give too much - just a crystal or two, depending on the sizeof the dog - the stuff can act as a laxative, so go easy until you see how they react. You give this every day, disguised in something like a bit of meat.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: neecie | 2009/01/22

I am so done with the fleas on my animals. Frontline is not working - or works for about 10 days and then back to scratching. I have fumigated my house, cleaned my carpets and sprayed everywhere, but the fleas just keep on appearing.
I have heard that garlic given to pets gets rid of fleas. Is this true? I really need help as my pets are suffering and its costing me a lot of money trying to get rid of the fleas, to no avail.
Thanks.

Reply to neecie
Posted by: Chill | 2009/01/21

Potatoes are fine for dogs. The choc drops for dogs are really just brown globs of fat, with a minute amount of chocolate in them - mainly to make the owners feel all warm and fuzzy about spoiling their dogs. Chocolate contain theobromine, which is a cardiac stimulant - small amounts won' t do any harm, but note that the small amount means a small amount PER KG BODY WEIGHT! What wouldnt disturb a large dog could kill a small one.

Onions and garlic contain theosulphate, which is also toxic in quantity.

While we' re about it - don' t feed your dogs grapes or raisins - this doesn' t seem to have filtered through to the veterinary community here yet, but the american spca and vet assoc have issued warnings about it- they can, also in quantity, lead to kidney failure.

Reply to Chill