Question
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-01-14

Ganglion again

Hi doc,

2 years ago I had a large volar wrist ganglion removed, but it made its appearance again a few months ago. My wrist is very painful at the moment, but I don’ t want to go the surgery route again –  I want to try and wait this one out.

So now my question: I’ ve bought three different kinds of wrist guards and/or protectors from the pharmacy to keep my wrist straight and immobile, but none of them are really doing to the trick. Is there a specific kind that you can suggest or should I see the Hand Fellow who operated before? Will my GP be able to “ prescribe”  a brace?

Dear Mandi
It will not go away, it is caused by a weak spot in the synovium that needs to be removed to get rid of it. A brace may give temporary relief of pain but you will have to wear it all the time. Rather see your orthopod again