Question
Posted by: Lynn | 2009/12/02

Gamma GT

I recently had blood teset for Life insurance. I got a form back saying that my Gamma GT was 19,00 u/l what does that mean? It is bad?

Hallo Lynn
This is normal. It is a liver function test to see if the liver is healthy and excludes alcohol liver damage.

5
Posted by: Manqoba Mngoma | 2010/04/28

hi doc

i am a 32 yrs old guy who when at the start of the year my gamma gt levels were 613 but when i went to the doctor last week it was 293. i am a moderate drinker -just want to know as to why my levels were so high and why this drastic change as i have not changed anything in my lifestyle?

thank you

Reply to Manqoba Mngoma
Posted by: g jordaan | 2010/04/01

my gamma gt 100/ul ,i am female, 43 years old, should i be worried

Reply to g jordaan
Posted by: raheema | 2009/12/06

my mother is a 64yr old female with no history of alcohol intake, she i diabetic, her gamma GT was 522, what could it be an indication of?

Reply to raheema
Posted by: John | 2009/12/02

Lynn,
You should be okay.

Gamma-glytamyl transpeptidase is an enzyme which is found in hepatocytes and biliary epithelial cells. GGT may be high in liver disease. In particular it is a feature of biliary outflow obstruction rather than hepatocellular damage.

GGT (in men) = 11 - 50 i.u./l
GGT (in women) = 7 - 32 i.u./l
Note reference ranges may vary between laboratories.

Reply to John
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/12/02

Hallo Lynn

Reply to cyberdoc