Posted by: ME | 2011-09-02

Gambling addiction

My husband is addicted to gambling for more than 27 years. When we met he already had the addiction and we are together for 23 years.He gambles every single day of his life.He is also unemployed.His father died when he was about 8 years old.His younger brother is addicted to alcohol,his 2 brothers and sisters also gamble but are not as addicted as he is. It seems like his whole siblings have problems. They make up stories,it is like they are living in a fantacy world.His brother the alcoholic is also a pathological liar unemployed for 10 years,his younger brother is the one with no problem except that he spends his days working without even taking his lunch hour.His older sister make up some stories and belief it for the truth.His younger sister ,45 years old only work for 8 months her entire life.There is realy no one in his family that I can talk to.It seems like everyone have on or other problem.My husband went to different psychologist without any improvement. He told me on several occasions that he felt unloved as a child,his mother did not care about him only about his siblings.I know its a impulse control disorder .He is 50 years old I don''t know what to do.He gamble with other peoples money.His family say I am the reason why he is like that and his younger''s brother''s wife is responsible that he is addicted to alcohol.It seems that they have problems in the way they think,no single one can think rational.I am a fourth year psychology student and sometimes I am afraid I will go mad because of the stress .Sorry for the long post

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Dear reader: I hear that your husband's addiction has caused you significant distress.It appears that there is a strong behavioural component , to your husband's addiction, along with a strong familial genetic loading. Given these factor's it is imperative that your husband get in to a treatment progam as soon as possible. I advise you to contact the NRGP(National Resposible Gambling Program)for refrrals to treatment facilities