Question
Posted by: ME | 2010-02-04

Gambling addiction

I have a terrible problem.My husband is addicted to gambling for the past 25 years. He has an impulse control disorder and cannot resist the urge to gamble.He is also unemployed for more than 16 years. I am the sole provider for the family all these years.I got married to him while he had this problem and things are getting worse everyday.I cannot rest when we have money in the house or in my bank account .He walks up and down in the house like someone who is mad.Since he is unemployed most of his adult life,people use to send him with money to pay things fotrthem and he uses that money to gamble.He gambles evey single day of his life.He went to rehab centres and psychologists but nothing seems to help.

His younger brother is a alcoholic and aslo a pathological lier, and make up stories everyday which be believes in.His sister is also addicted to gambling but not so severve as my husbands.Our children and I are on medication for depression.His gambling have a very negative impact on all of us.He take money ,which is intended for food or transport and just gambles it away without thinking .I don' t know what else do do and can' t take it anymore.My husband is not working so he cannot help me to pay bills but he still takes my hard earned money and gambles it away.I am studying psychology and know that it is a mental disorder which seems to run in his family.He is not even like a child which you can give money to buy food.If he gets money ,he will just gambles it away without thinking twice.If he had an appointment I must pay for his transport ,I cannot give him the money because than he would not get there because he will gambles the money away.His is like a retarded person.I need help urgently otherwise I will go mad.

Expert ImageArchive

Greetings

Your husband doesn't just have an impulse control disorder as you so euphemistically call his addiction, he is a chronic and pathological addict.

He has held you and your children hostage for decades without blinking an eye-lid and you have merrily enabled him by giving him a roof over his head, feeding him and even seeing to it that he gets to his appointments.

And paying his bills!

You're not his mother, you're his wife. You must change this situation TODAY.

The man must seek treatment with immediate effect. Don't give him any money. If he needs to eat, let him find food somewhere else, but this little party is over.

I he refuses treatment, you will have to ask him to leave for a period until he has made up his mind.

Don't pay any of his bills either, let the sheriff of the court deal with him. You have been too kind for far too long and you have wasted valuable years on a man who is taking you for a fool.

You need to urgently get him into treatment and you, too, as well as you children, will need counselling.

You can all get better and heal, but it won't happen on its own, even if you are studying psychology in an obvious desperate attempt in saving yourself and your children.

You can email or phone Nicholas McDiarmid at Harmony Addictions Clinic and ask him to point you in the right direction. But please, there is NO time to waste, this has gone on for far too long.

His contact details are: nicholas.mcdiarmid@harmonyclinic.co.za or Tel: 021 790 7779.

2
Posted by: Harmony Addictions Clinic | 2010-02-05

Greetings

We will get back to you before the end of this day (Friday).

Reply to Harmony Addictions Clinic
Posted by: Addictions expert forum | 2010-02-05

Greetings

And paying his bills!

Reply to Addictions expert forum