Question
Posted by: Sam | 2008-12-02

Gallstones or Hiatus Hernia

Hi I went to see my doctor yesterday, as I have been experiencing an excruciating pain every now and then over the past two months (about six times in the past eight weeks) The pain starts, either late at night or very early in the morning (it wakes me up 430ish) It is a sharp intense pain that sits just underneath my diaphragm and radiates all the way along it. The first time it occurred, I rushed to the emergency room, the doctor put me on a drip with painkillers and sent me home with Nexium and Buscopan. I have taken Buscopan for all of the episodes after this one, as it seemed to work, take one buscopan and lie quietly, the pain seems to subside after a while. This did not happen on Sat, I woke up with an even more intense pain, took one buscopan, which didnt help, took another, and another. It took 6 Buscopan, 2 Myprodols and 2 Hours for the pain to subside. When the pain starts, I cannot lie, sit or stand, it brings me to tears. My doctor feels that this may be gall stones or a hiatus hernia, and has asked that I go for a scan. Are these likely diagnosis, I have been reading up on both of these, and neither sound exactly like the pain I feel. Should I go for a second opinion?

Dear Sam
I think you should see a gastro enterologist for a gastroscopy ( scope of the stomach) and I agree that a scan (actually sonar of gallbladder ) is also indicated. Next time this happens, try taking Mucaine - it is an anti-acid with a local anaesthetic in it. Be careful not to overdose yourself with Buscopan! Pain pills like Myprodol usually does not help very well for abdominal pain and can in actual fact aggravate it - try to avoid in future. Let me know what the results of the test say?

1
Posted by: Dolly | 2009-05-21

After my gall bladder has been removed due to gallstones, I am still experiencing sharp pains on my chest, what can it be. Somebody told me that gall stones do come again and find a place in the body. Is it true or do I have Henia

Reply to Dolly