Question
Posted by: Mpho | 2013-01-20

Gallstones and diet

I am 33 and I gave birth to my second child last May. I have gained a lot of weight since then and recently found out that I had gallstones so I have to have my gallbladder removed. Anyway, I have been reading up on life after gallbladder surgery and have found a lot of conflicting information about whether one gains weight or loses weight after the surgery. I have always struggled with weight issues and according to the BMI, I am obese and I really cannot afford to gain more weight.
What should I expect after my surgery and how do I ensure I don''t gain weight? - in fact, how do I ensure I lose weight? I do understand that I will have to make a lot if dietary changes after the surgery...

Dear Mpho
In most cases patients who have had their gallbladder removed, do not need to change their diet. The gallbladder just acts as a storage pouch for the gall that is produced in the liver. After removal, the gall is still produced by the liver and is directly emptied into the digestive tract. If you should feel nauseous after eating fatty foods, then it may be a good idea for you to reduce your fat intake. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and do a Search for 'Diet in Gallbladder Disease' for tips on how to lower fat intake from the diet before and after a gallbladder op. Lowering fat intake (1 gram of fat or oil provides 37 kJ, while protein and carbs only supply 17 kJ per gram), should help with weightloss. When you are on the Diet site, click on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet. Once you have fully recovered from your operation and the doctor gives permission you can also increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 min a day to promote weightloss. But remember NOT to exercise until the dr says it is ok.
Wishing you a swift recovery.