Question
Posted by: KW | 2008/07/29

Gallstones

Hi, I rushed off to the emergency at midnight a couple of weeks ago with severe pain. I was told they suspected it was gallstones and was told to go for a scan. However, I can' t afford the scan so decided I' d try and treat the gallstones with diet. I spoke to an older lady yesterday who terrified me by telling me she had hers out because her doctor said if left untreated it can go into the organs and cause death or cancer. Is this true? I have my own business and am struggling right now and really don' t have the finances for any additional expenses as I' m counting every penny.

Dear KW
Gall stones does not cause cancer - what it can cause is gall bladder infection. You can go for a sonar which is cheaper than a scan. The gall bladder forms stones because it is not working right or there is an imbalance in the bilirubin or other chemicals. See http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gallstones/