Question
Posted by: Kiara | 2008/06/11

Gallstones

I have gallstones and suffer with pain everyday, my gp also said that my liver is enlarged. I am really scared and would like to know wheter I could die from this condition?

Hallo Kiara
Gall stones often form because the gall bladder does not work properly. If it causes chronic inflammation and pain it is sometimes better to remove the gall bladder with an operation. Enlarged liver can be due to liver disease but also due to fat deposits - your doctor should do a Liver function test blood test to determine if the liver is working properly. If the liver functions is very abnormal you can develop liver failure which can be fatal in the long term. Most liver diseases are treatable.