Question
Posted by: Skyewolf | 2008/10/09

gallbladder/appendix removal

Three weeks ago I had an emergency gallbladder and appendix removal operation. The doctor did not tell me the do' s and what-not-to-do' s after this operation. I am now experiencing cramps, diarhoe and nausea regularly. Is this a normal part of healing or can this be due to some sort of problem? What am I not do do now that I do not have a gallbladder anymore? I believe from others that removing an appendix does not really affect your normal lifestyle but have not been able to get straight answers re. a missing gallbladder

Dear Skeywolf
Your gall bladder is just a reservoir for gall, if it does not contract properly or develops stones, it doesn't work right anyway and removing it won't affect you much. You may just not be able to eat very fatty meals. The liver will still make gall and still empty into the bowel to help with the digestion of fat, you will just be intolerant for large volumes of fat. The cramps, diarrhoea and nausea is unlikely to be due to the operation, you may have a slight infection ( maybe overgrowth of bad bacteria because you used antibiotics??) Try using probiotics three times a day, if it does not get better, take a stool sample ( teaspoonful) to your doctor in a clean small container to send to the lab.