Posted by: Scared | 2011-01-21

Gallbladder removal

I''ve just been diagnosed with chronic cholecystitis with a contracted gallbladder containing 2 stones (12mm). It looks like I need to have my gallbladder removed. I''ve been reading up about this but I get LOTS of conflicting information regarding the quality of life without a gallbladder. I am 35 and overweight, and many people claims that this procedure slows down metabolism causing weight gain. Also, my diet will need to change drastically. Some people complain of excessive tiredness. Could you please advise on what I can expect after the op. I have 2 small kids, so this operation will affect a few people in my life.

There are many different opinions and subjective feelings of people who had their gallbladders removed. Unfortunately, I am unaware of any scientific findings to prove for example, the slowing of your metabolism. If you are overweight, you should adhere to a strict diet and a good exercise regime, anyway. The down side is that if you do not remove the gallbladder, the inflammation could have serious complications, like infection and hepatitis.

Please refer to the following link for more information on the subject:

Posted by: friend | 2011-01-23

Had mine removed at age 39 - (was not galbladder that cause pain - pain was still there after operation. was stomach ulcer - ha ha) - But had no chane in my general health afterwards - but had a definate increace in flatulance -
good luck!

Reply to friend