Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2010-02-22

Gall Bladder Surgery

Good Day Dr.
I''m writing this question to you of great concern. My sister has her Gallbladder removed because of stones, a week ago, on the 2nd day after her op. we found out that her one lung had collapsed. during the course of the week she had a great amount of pain and developed a high temperature.
On Friday doctors decided to perform another operation as tests revealed that there was bile leaking and she had infection internally.
After the operation she was on a ventilator. she is off the ventilator now and has an oxygen mask on her face. she is in respitory ICU. looks like she is breathing heavely.
Went to visit last night, she is just lying there sleeping, maybe because of the morphine.
Her heart rate went down from 150 to 120, her lungs on the machine shows that it''s getting better. The bile is only leaking drips now.
My question is if it looks like she is getting better on all those machines, then why is it that she is just lying there and not responding to us, she looks so sick and she went to hospital healthy.
I''m really worried the professor said, she will have to stay in ICU for 2 more days.
How long is the recovery process of all this.
Please Respond.
Thanks Amanda

Hallo Amanda
This is a difficult question for me to answer as I don't have all the information one would need to make a judgement call. The best is to speak to her doctor and ask him specific questions. She probably is sedated to reduce her oxygen needs and she probably is getting strong painkillers, which may be the reason why she is sleeping.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-02-22

Hallo Amanda

Reply to cyberdoc