Question
Posted by: Ronelle | 2009-04-03

Gall bladder removed- weight gain

I have had my gall bladder removed in 2006, I have had a weight problem for the past five years but since my gall bladder was removed I am struggling to lose weight even with watching my date, prior to the operation I was able to lose a few kilos. My thyroid was tested prior to the op and results were normal. Is my gall bladder removal the cause of my weight gain and if so what should I do next?

Dear Ronelle
There should be no reason why removal of your gall bladder causes weight gain. You are still producing gall which is secreted into the intestine to aid digestion. All that has happened is that the little sack the gall used to be stored in has been removed. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search for the article I wrote a while ago on "WEIGHT GAIN AFTER GALLBLADDER OPS" for some ideas on what can be done.