Question
Posted by: Aims | 2011/04/18

Gall Bladder

Hi doc
I''ve posted here before regarding my constant bloated tummy, I had a hernia repair and tummy tuck in one but still the bloated tummy stayed. I went to the doctor and was informed that I have IBS, however after being on IBS medication for x3 months, there was no difference. My gp referred me to a “ gastro”  specialist. They ran numerous blood tests, scans etc. The last scan was for my gall bladder, in this scan they discovered my gall bladder is not functioning. Anyway, after long debate regarding the way forward, we removed the gall bladder 3 weeks ago. After the operation I lost 5kg, weight myself on Saturday for the first time after the op. Can this be because of the gall bladder removal? I haven’ t change my dieet at all.
Your comments will be appreciated.

Aims

Dear Aims
I do remember you and your problem with the bloated tummy. Most people lose some weight when they have an operation because esp for abdominal ops, your food intake is usually restricted before and for a short while after the procedure. Click on 'Diet'nFood' and do a Search for 'Diet in Gallbladder Disease' to read more about the dietary recommendations for patients with gallbladder problems or removal. Your liver will continue to produce gall which is essential for the digestion of fats, but instead of storing gall in the gallbladder, it will now be directly secreted into the digestive tract. This should not affect your health or cause weight gain or loss.

1

Dear Aims