Question
Posted by: Scared | 2010-06-17

Gall Bladder

In Feb 2009 I had a gall stone pass through the gall bladder. I was rushed to casualty as I didn''t know what the pain was and because it was so extreme.
It was extablished the next day that I have approximately 18 gall stones in total and that the mouth of the gall bladder was enlarged due to the passing of a stone.
I am terrified of hospitals and anaesthetics, and did not return to the doctor to have it removed.
I have since only had pain and discomfort in the gall bladder sometimes after eating, but have not had a full on attack like the last time.
Yesterday after eating (braai meat and salads), I had a lot of discomfort in the gall bladder area. I could actually feel a lump where the gall bladder is.
I would like to know if the gall bladder could cause major problems and complications if left as is. Does it HAVE to be removed? I could live with the discomfort now and again, but need to know if it would cause serious health issues if left where it is?

Thank you!

Hallo Scared
a gall bladder with stones is not working effectively and the stones are prone to cause infection. If the gallbladder gets infected, it can burst like an appendix and you can get very sick from it, so most doctors prefer to remove a sick gallbladder before complications happen.
See http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gallstones/

2
Posted by: me | 2010-06-17

hi i had mine removed last year bcoz it was gangrene i think you should see a doc before it reaches that stage.

Reply to me
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-06-17

Hallo Scared