Question
Posted by: Melissa | 2009/10/19

Gall Attack

Hi Doc,

I' m 29 and I had my gall bladder removed 10 years ago. Every now and then I start vomiting and all that comes up is bile. This weekend especially I had another gall attack but this time it was accompanied with severe pain in the centre of my rib cage. I had cold shivers and then hot shivers. Everytime I drank something (water) I just brought it up a couple of minutes later. The pain was so severe as well that the only thing that alleviated the pain was after I vomited. But then the pain returned in about 15 minutes and this is how it went on for three hours.

Yesterday I read up about what foods to avoid but I generally dont eat fatty foods etc. Is there some medication that could be taken with foods to help?

Your help is much appreciated.
Melissa

Dear Melissa
It is very important that you should immediately have a medical examination after this attack because you may well be suffering from a condition such as pancreatitis. Please for your own sake, go and see your doctor ASAP. You may need medical treatment urgently. If you do have a condition associated with your gallbladder please discuss this with the dr because there are medications that can assist with this condition. In general eating a low-fat diet not only does not overtax your gallbladder, but has many other health benefits, so stick to a basic low-fat diet as much as possible.
I hope that the dr will be able to diagnose what is causing your problem.

1

Dear Melissa