Question
Posted by: Lindy | 2011/08/01

Gaining weight while exercising

I started going to the gym in January to try and loose some 25kg I gained during pregnancy, in the first three months I managed to lose 2kilos, I then started to work out with a personal trainer because I was afraid I would not last long without motivation, he worked me so hard, weights, cardio etc three times a week and I was so happy when I relalized that I was beginning to fit into my old clothes and the back pain had also disappeared but when he put me on the scale last week it showed that I had gained a kilo, I am so dissapointed what''''s going on?

Dear Lindy
I think it is wonderful that you have been doing such a lot of exercise. You have already experienced the positive effects by losing cm and no longer suffering from backache. The fact that you have gained a kg when doing intensive exercise can be due to the fact that you are building muscle tissue which ironically weighs more than fat tissue. This is why it is so important to keep track of you vital statistics and not just your weight. Losses in cm indicate that you are losing fat even though your weight has not changed or increased slightly. It is also a good idea to combine the exercise with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), to promote weightloss. So try the diet and do keep up the good work at the gym, your health and fitness will make you feel wonderful and you will lose that weight. I think it is an excellent idea to have a personal trainer, because it helps a lot to have moral support and encouragement when you are changing your lifestyle.

2
Posted by: Babes | 2011/08/02

You are losing centimeters which I think is good because afterall we buy clothes with centimeteres not kilograms. Dont worry, you doing great. well done!!

Reply to Babes

Dear Lindy