Question
Posted by: Momof3 | 2010/04/21

Gaining weight on Glucophage &  reddish rash/itch on lower leg. ?

Hi Cyberdoc

I just turned 50 this month and have been on Luvox-depression for 16yrs, Celebrex &  Salazopyrin-en for 10yrs for arthritis in knees &  ankles. With no problems. I was over weight but was able to loose when I did die,t fairly easily.

About Sept 2008 my GP did a blood test in his office when i said I was not feeling well &  felt like that for awhile already -It was 9 before eating. He then sent me for a blood glucose test which showed I have diabetes Type 2 .
I was then forwarded to his female partner who has more experienced with metabolism etc so I was told.

I was then prescribed Glucopghage XR, x 3 in the morning - Elrtoxin 0,05mg x1 a day. I saw a dietitian and was given a low GI diet /diabetic diet and was expected to loose weight. I swam every day ( I had not done any exercise really since my knee replacements ) as I wanted to loose the weight and wanted the sugar to come down. In 8 months I only lost 3kgs which was extremely disappointing and they said I was not trying. I swam like crazy as I have knee replacements so cant do impact exercise like walking etc. I was very upset that I had not lost more .Normally I would easily be able to loose 2kg a week on a low carb diet.

I still kept trying but the GP added Diamicron MR 30mg as well. in April 2009. She said it would work with the Glucophage as she did a test that shows the sugar level over 6 months. In the winter months I did not swim as its too cold &  we dont belong to a gym. so i put on more weight which I normally do over the winter months .

In about Aug 2009 My lower legs started to swell up ( I normally do retain water just before menstruation) But this was alot. particularly my left leg. I developed a dark /red patch / rash on my lower leg and my tibia ,half way down, was very sensitive to touch and this rash was itchy &  warm to the touch. I got worried by the 2nd day so made an app. to see my GP- who was on leave at the time so saw her stand in
- He did not seem to be worried about the rash but more about my swollen legs &  he took my blood pressure &  was very concerned as it was very high. It had not been that high .it was normally 138 . Now it was 145 something. he prescribed Phamapress - blood pressure pills &  a water pill- Adco-retic -50mg. It worked well to reduce the swelling in my legs. But my left leg had a great deal of tightness on the skin where the rash/redness was. What caused me to retain all that water. Is there something wrong with my heart or kidney''s ?

I then went to see my orthopedic surgeon who had done both knee replacements as I was worried about the tibia being so sensitive and the last thing I needed was an infection in the bone or knee. He ruled that out and gave me antibiotics as my skin was hot to the touch , just incase there was an infection starting. He suggested I see my GP again as he thought it might be related to my diabetes.-circulation etc

I saw my GP and she scared the shit out of me, saying the spot where I had the extreme tenderness was going to develop into a hole &  it would become gangrenous etc, etc. We all know where that leads. I was very upset,of course.
I was wondering, how could that happen if I did not have an open wound ?

When the antibiotics, my orthopedic surgeon gave me where finished and the redness &  itching was still there I went back to my GP . She did not know what do so she sent me to a surgeon friend of hers )-Still dont know why a surgeon. -I would have thought a dermatologist -but went to see him and I mentioned that not once since I was given blood pressure pills had it been tested ,so he did a pressure check &  it was down to 138 / 80. Normal for me. he then gave me a cream for the leg which did help the 1st week but 6months down the line the redness is still there . i even put off my leg waxing till Feb 2010- in case it made it worse. So from Aug 2009 till now i still have this reddish discoloration on my left leg, it itches from time to time. Last week i went for a leg wax and the lady cleaned the skin with an alcohol rub- which burnt over that area and when she came to that area to wax it was sweating. She patted a tissue over the area to show me the perspiration on the tissue. What could be the problem &  who do I see about it.? Could it be vascular or do I need to see a dermatologist?

I have also gained weight and when I look up Glucophage it says it helps in weight loss but in the pamphlet in the box it says a side effect is that you may gain weight. I have gained a lot of weight. I also read the Diamicron side effects &  it also says weight gain &  now I see itchy/ rash. The last thing I need is to gain more weight . What can I do ?

I have not been back to this lady GP as I must say I have lost faith in her.

Is it possible just to have the rash on 1 leg or area if I have a reaction to the medication-I am thinking now it might be the Diamicron as that was the last medication prescribed to me in April &  in August I developed the rash .Could it be that ? What would be the next step to find out if it is that. ?

Sorry for the long question but I needed to give you some background. I hope you can advice me On the weight gain &  the rash. Thanks in advance.

Hallo Momof3
I think that your heart and kidneys should be examined (urine test, blood UKE test, lung x/ray at least) as this can be the cause of the swelling. The red area on your leg could be a dermatitis and seeing a dermatologist will be a good idea. Ask your doctor to refer you to a physician or let me know in which area you live, maybe I can suggest someone to you.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/04/21

Hallo Momof3

Reply to cyberdoc