Posted by: LC | 2009-08-25

I gained weight because of an underactive thyroid, I am using Diotroxin, and my thyroid is under control, well I am still breastfeeding my 2 year old, thyroid is better but still no loosing weight. I am gaining so now and then a kilo or more but otherwise I am staying constant with the weight. I am using Microval contraceptive also. I want to wean my baby but is so scared I will gain more weight after that? Is there anybody that gained weight while breastfeeding I thought we must loose weight, please help. Any suggestions to help losing weight will help a lot please!!!

Dear LC
Most women do lose weight immediately after giving birth and some, but not all, women lose weight while breastfeeding. In general breastfeeding does require additional energy (approx. 2000 kJ per day), so it should at least keep weight steady, as it evidently has in your case. However you baby is now more than old enough to be weaned off the breast. I trust that baby is already eating a wide variety of other foods and drinking other liquids from a cup besides breast milk? It is time for the baby to gain some independence, so don't use him or her because you are scared of gaining weight. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), for at least 30 min a day. It is also important to continue with your thyroid medication.

Posted by: Lee | 2009-08-26

Your child' s 2, you cannot breastfeed until he goes to school surely!

Reply to Lee