Gaining weight from anti-depressants

Please help. I have been on anti-depressants (Equinorm 25mg)
for a few months. At first I was put on a lower dosage and it was increased over time but I found that it gave me a terrible appetite.
I was always hungry and extremely thirsty, resulting in me picking up a lot of weight.

I have gone off the medication completely, but still find that after a month and a half of not taking it, I am still not loosing the weight that was gained.

I eat healthy, I also have IBS so HAVE to eat healthy. Don' t smoke/drink and go to gym regularly.

Please advice what else I can do to rid the extra kilos. I' m not feeling good about myself because now none of my clothes fits and cant'  afford to buy a whole new wardrobe of clothes.

Kind regards

Dear Gaining Weight/Antidepressants
I looked up the side-effects listed for Equinorm in my copy of MIMS, and they do not mention weight gain or loss. Some antidepressants can cause pronounced weight gain and some will cause weight loss depending on the individual patient. On the other hand depression itself can cause massive weight gain, so it is difficult to judge if it was the medication or your depression that caused you to gain so much weight. What is listed as a side-effect for Equinorm is changes in blood sugar concentrations. Now this could possible be linked to a type of insulin resistance (IR), so I would suggest that you have a medical checkup to see if you have a hormonal imbalanced (thyroid, insulin and female hormones). If you do have IR then it is essential for you to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight and the IBS, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Keep up the good work with the exercise because this not only helps with weightloss, but also improves your mood and can lower raised blood insulin levels.