Question
Posted by: Trixy | 2010/04/19

Gaining Weight, depressed and lost

Hi Diet Doc,

Please can you give me some advise. I am overweight, have been for my whole life, but loose on fad diets then regain it all back again. I am 33 years old and weight 99.5 kgs at 1.67m high, I realise I am overweight but confused on what diet to go on. I have an underactive thyroid which I am on eltroxin daily for, have Insulin REsistance and possibly PCOS as I am trying to fall preganant but don''[t even have a menstral cycle. I am unfortuantly a big fan of protein diets even though they make me feel tired all the time. I am also depressed but have been put on 6 months anti-depressants to assist me. What do you think I need to be doing to get myself out of this place where I am and to stop obsessing about every morcel of food I am eating. I want to be healthy and loose weight and confused.......

Please advise.

Dear Trixy
I am sorry to hear that you are so down at the moment, but you can turn this situation around. Your present BMI = 35,7 which is in the obese category so it would be a good idea to lose weight. If you suffer from insulin resistance (IR) and possibly also PCOS, then it is essential for you to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (brisk walking, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life)every day for 30 or more minutes. Start at a level that you can manage and then increase how far, fast and long you walk as you start losing weight and get fitter.
Hang in there

1

Dear Trixy
Hang in there