Question
Posted by: Lorella | 2011-11-11

gaining weight after inllness

hi, my dad was treated for vocal chord cancer November 2010. Since then he as been struggling to swallow food because of the side effects of radiation, with the result that he has lost 20kg since Jan 2011. We are constantly in contact with doctors etc, but I seem to feel now that he possibly could be at the anorexia stage. So i would just like to know what type of foods do anorexic people have to eat to gain weight. Not meaning fatty foods or high sugar foods. We have also been in touch with a dietician but just wanted another take on this issue. Thank you.

Dear Lorella
I am so sorry to hear that your Dad had vocal cord cancer and that he has such difficulty swallowing food. Please make an appointment with a dietitian so that she/he can assess your Dad's present condition to evaluate if he is suffering from anorexia. The dietitian will also be able to recommend which liquid meal supplement your Dad needs in terms of energy and other nutrient requirements, for example Nutren or Fresubin, etc. The use of liquid meal supplements can make a world of difference to patients who have problems with swallowing and have lost a great deal of weight like your Dad. However, it is necessary to do an assessment to determine which type of liquid meal supplement is best suited to his specific needs and what dosage is required to help him regain his lost weight. This not something I can do for you over the Internet which is why it would be beneficial for him to be seen by a dietitian.
Holding thumbs for you and your Dad

2
Posted by: Lorella | 2011-11-20

thank you for your reply.
:-)

Reply to Lorella
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-11-11

Dear Lorella
Holding thumbs for you and your Dad