Question
Posted by: Susan | 2012/05/21

Gaining Weight

I am on a very healthy eating plan and I exercise regularly, this is my life style.

Now in the last 6 months I have been picking up weight like crazy.

I am not sick or pregnant and I haven''t been doing anything deferent and I am not on any medication.

What is going on?

Dear Susan
Unexplained weight gain like this, should always be investigated because it could be caused by an underlying medical condition (diabetes, hormonal imbalances, etc). I would suggest that you have a thorough medical examination to check if any of your physiological and/or psychological systems is malfunctioning. Depression is a factor that can cause massive weight gains or losses depending on how the patient reacts. If you are given a clean bill of health, and are not depressed (?), then please consult a registered dietitian so that she/he can calculate your energy intake, because somewhere there must be a problem. Keep in mind that even eating very healthy food can cause weight gain if your energy intake exceeds your energy output. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.
I do hope you will be able to pinpoint what is causing this sudden weight gain.

1

Dear Susan