Question
Posted by: Naledi | 2010/08/23

Gaining Weight

I am 31 yrs old lady, weigh 49kg, height 162cm I tried everything to gain weight but I ca''nt. I am stressing because of my weight. I have checked my Thyroid and is 0.95 and I think is normal so really I am not sure what to do. Could you please help me. Thanks

Dear Nadeli
Your present BMI = 18,7 which is very low. It would be good if you could gain some weight so that your BMI is close to the ideal of 22 for which you would need to weigh 57 kg. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

4
Posted by: oros | 2010/08/23

am sorry i made a mistake i also wanted to post a question

Reply to oros
Posted by: oros | 2010/08/23

im 37yrs old guy 4months taking arv currently weighing 63kg my normal weight was 80kg and was also dignosed with herpatitis a and duodenal ulcer and like to gain weight.

Reply to oros
Posted by: oros | 2010/08/23

Reply to oros

Dear Nadeli