Question
Posted by: Tatso | 2008/08/28

Gaining Weight

Please help, my son is 10 months old and is weighing 9.5 kg, he was weighing 10.5 when he was about 6 months old. He is allergic to peanuts,wheat,soya,cow' s milk and egg whites. I ams still breastfeeding and he' s on solids, but I don' t know what kind of food to give him as he seems underweight and because of the allergies he has.

Dear Tatso
The average weight of infants of 1 year is 9 kg so your son is not really underweight seeing that he is not yet one year old. Because it is so difficult to select a diet that avoids peanuts, wheat, soya, cow's milk and egg white, I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a special diet prescription for your son so that he is not exposed to the offending foods, but does still grow and develop normally.