Posted by: Beauty | 2008-11-27

Gained weight after weight loss

Hi Doc,

For the past year i have been living a healthy lifestyle i.e. healthy eating and regular exercize and managed to loose 24ks. i moved from 97ks to 74ks, i gained back my self-esteem. Things went out of hand in Aug when i received a promotion and had to relocate from PTA to JHB. Since there' s no V.A. near my work place and my new home, i could not go to the gym for 2 and half months and therefore started loosing it. I gained a whooping 8ks and my fitness level dropped. I finally joined the closest gym i could find and started with my exercise programme 2 weeks back. It' s nothing like V.A. but it' s a gym. My challenge at the moment is my eating habits, i' m trying to correct it but it seems i' m fighting a loosing battle. I know i can do it, i did it once, it' s just that i can' t seem to kick start with my healthy eating. I need motivation and advise on in terms of changing my eating habits. Please advise

HI Beauty

In terms of eating habits, the best thing you can do is speak with a dietician. It's not place to advise on diet, it would be standing on their toes if I did. So rather than speaking out of turn, I would advise you to see a dietician.

In terms of your story, and what has happened, I will add a few things. I think that you need to get right back to basics, because you're struggling now where one year ago you were walking the perfect path. You have obviously recognized that eating is part of this, but so is your lifestyle and if you think about it, there's no reason why you should now struggle with that diet, other than the fact that you've recently changed your routine so much. So I do believe that it's your routine, perhaps brought on by travel habits or time in the office, that is to blame here.

The dietician will be able to work with that a little, but you also just need to step back and assess wha tit is you are doing, and how you might be able to change it and get back to how things were. You're stuck in a spiral at the moment, and you need a break from it, and then a start. A dietician is part of that, but so is writing down what you eat, when you eat it, which will give you greater awareness of where those problems are.

If you do that, then you'll get on top of it.