Question
Posted by: Mark | 2010/03/11

GAD - Please help

I am a 37 year old male, fit/active,succesfull,professional etc. About 5 years ago I started experiencing very strange syptoms while exercising - the symptoms presented themselves very much as if I was having a heart attack (scarily similar), after numerous visits to cardioligst''s I was initially diagnosed with myopericarditis with side effects of atrial fibrillation. This diagnosis proved not to be very accurate. After consulting neuro surgeons my GP decided to place me on 1mg Tranquipam and 24mg Aropax - (this gave me a new lease on life). I have never had symptoms of depression but numerous significant symptoms that manifest themselves physically. After two years on this medication I tried to scale down the dosage, I am now off the tranquipam and started to slowly reduce the aropax. I have found that my sypmtoms are under control on 1.5 aropax 12.5mg but as soon as I drop the dosage to 1 x aropax 12.5mg it all starts up again.

My frustration is that it seems that I am going to have to be permanently on medication. What is the prognosis?
I am at the same time gratefull that I have finally found out what is wrong with me and can continue with what I consider a normal existence.

Any advice and or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, I'm pleased that the treatment was helpful. Generally, though, if one has a condition like this ( and in some of us the psychological symptoms are dominant and utterly noticeable, in others of us it's the physical symptoms that predominate ) it is wisest to see a good local psychiatrist for a careful re-assessment of the diagnosis and treatment, and then based on those findings, he could give you more relaible answers tyo your sensible questions about prognosis and long-term outloook. A normal existence should be entirely possible

1