Question
Posted by: Shelly | 2011/09/28

GAD

I have a friend who has general anxiety disorder - he is medicated and seeing a shrink but he freaks out and has anxiety attacks for the smallest thing like burning toast.

How do i deal with him and be understanding of his condition, he does tihs CBT stuff but from my perspective as a support structure how do i deal or approach this?

To me burning toast is nothing to get stressed about but i dont have the anxiety so i dont understand.

Please advise

Doesn't sound l;ike his treatment is being awfully effective, does it ? Maybe he needs to discuss this with his shrink. Maybe a different medication would suit him better ( unless you're referring to a lack of noticeable change when he\s maybe onl;y been on the meds for a week or 10 days, as at least 2-3 weeks are needed to see if any such med will be properly useful.
CBT is probably the most effective surrent method of psychotherapy for anxiety disorders, and generally has excellent results if the person takes it seriously.
You already show enough understanding, by understanding that you don't understand - you don't need to feel his degree of anxiety to respect it. If he sarts freaking out about something small, maybe ask him what his shrink has recommended he use as a method for dealing with this, and encouraging him to use that method. And generally, encourage him to keep up with treatment, to reprot all changes, good or bad, to his shrink, and to keep the pair of them reviewwing progress and alternatives

2
Posted by: Shelly | 2011/09/29

He has been on the meds for a while, thanks for the insight. Seeing it is a new friendship maybe i should walk away if you are saying that the meds are not working, people like this will only land up emotionally exhausting me.

Reply to Shelly