Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2011/09/10

GAD

a family member of 26 was recently diagnosed with GAD. ECG and all other tests were 100%, including thyroid function, sugar levels, cholesterol etc. This member has been having severe panic attacks and has been on lexamil for 11 days now and is feeling awful. I was wonering if seritide is not a better option which works instintaniously and ackording to my knowledge a mood stabiliser. Please advise as to what this person may and should do

Sounds like some perhaps unnecessary testing, unless your family member was terrified and convinced that she had several serious physical illnesses, and really needed to be convinced otherwise. She should see a good local psychiatrist rather than only a GP, to confirm the diagnosis and to discuss treatment options.
I don't understand your suggestion of Seretide, which is a special form of inhaler used to treat asthma, and it isnt even remotely a "mood stabilizer". And it isn't a mood stabilizer she needs, at all. Sedative drugs used to treat anxiety can become habit forming, and better results are obtained by using some meds also used to treat depression, and also by using specific forms of psychotherapy / counselling such as CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Disorder ).

2
Posted by: Liza | 2011/09/11

Seritide is for asthma. Not sure what medication you''re confusing it with?

If the anxiety is that bad, the person should be under the care of a specialist psychiatrist and not just a GP. Lexamil is one of the antidpressants which also help for anxiety - unfortunately it takes a while to work. If the side-effects are too bad, it''s perhaps not the right medication for this person. There are others that could have less side effects and be more suitable. This should be discussed with the psychiatrist. While waiting for the AD to start working, the psychiatrist might also prescribe something like Ativan that dissolves under the tongue and works quickly to calm a person when having a panic attack. It can''t be used over the long term however due to it''s addictiveness.

CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) is a great way to learn how to handle anxiety without medication (or as little medication as possible) And the best thing about it - it has no side effects!

Hope this helps.
Liza

Reply to Liza