Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2011-09-10

GAD

a family member of 26 was recently diagnosed with GAD. ECG and all other tests were 100%, including thyroid function, sugar levels, cholesterol etc. This member has been having severe panic attacks and has been on lexamil for 11 days now and is feeling awful. I was wonering if seritide is not a better option which works instintaniously and ackording to my knowledge a mood stabiliser. Please advise as to what this person may and should do

He/she is on the correct treatment but anti-depressants take at least 3 to 4 weeks before the desired effect is achieved. A product like Ativan SL 1mg can be added to alleviate symptoms of anxiety in the interim. It is however, advised that he/she consults with a psycologist for cognetive behavioural therapy, where the patients thoughts and feelings are explained and where negative thoughts are turned into positive, more constructive thoughts, in order to permanently cure the generalised anxiety disorder.