Question
Posted by: Emma | 2010/10/13

GAD

Hi Doc,

I suffer from GAD and this morning I had an anxiety attack. Sine June this year worries have been piling up. Both my daughters have been ill. My younger duaghter sent me a message saying that she is not going to work yet again (she only started the job in March) and she does not care if she looses her job, she says. I just lost it this morning, all I do is worry about them and their troubles although they are 27 and 29. Plus there are my own worries I am a CP and I could be out of a job by next year. The company is not doing well for the 2nd year running. So finances are bad for me.

I am taking 15mg Remeron. My own shrink is not available and
fully booked. My next appointment is at the beginning of Dec. I think my doseage of Remeron is ok. My question is actually: how do I stop myself from worrying all the time? How do I avoid all this anxiety, which makes me go all spastic, and today I had to come to work in a wheelchair today. (I normally walk).

Thank you.

Always remember, no medicine ( if properly used ) guarantees you won't feel anxious in situations where anxiety is normal and appropriate - and the effect would be rather unpleasant if they did.
And NO medicine is a complete treatment for GAD or other versions of anxiety. Counselling and other ways to help you learn how to avoid avoidable stresses and to cope better with those that do arise, is a good idea, as well.
In the situation you describe, unless meds anaesthetized you, they alone won't change your motherly habit of worrying about daughters who are more than old enough to take care of themselves, and who should worry more about themselves than you do.
I would strongly recommend that you seek ways to see a counsellor for CBT-type counselling to help you reduce the amount of needless and fruitless anxiety you feel, and to handle it better when it does arise.

1