Question
Posted by: Susie | 2010/09/16

GAD

Dear CS

I was diagnosed with GAD in 2006. Finally in 2008 I went to see a Shrink and he put me on 7.5mg Remeron. That has worked well until now. I have had a difficult year financially etc. Now my GAD is back to 2006 level. Should I increase Remeron to 10mg? I am only due to see my Shrink again in December.

In the past you have told me to go for CBT conselling, but again lack of finances for such and also I worry when I have to take time off from work, especially now when the job is hanging in the balance.

I know there is no cure for GAD, but can it become bad again after feeling good for about 1.5 years?

I'm sad to hear that any practising shrink can't offer you an appointment before December -I always believed one must keep some free appointments for emergencies and other urgent consultations, rather than always filling every available appointment. And he could have given some telephone advice in the meantime, about drug dosage, as, knowing you well, he is so much better placed to do so than I can be
GAd can vary and can go and come. And its also possible there is an element of Depression here ( which would also repspond to remeron ) and can also be recurring. The usual dose many people sue for Remeron can be as much as 15 mg, so an increase to 10 may be OK - as you can always return to the lower dose if you find any problems on the higher dose.

1