Question
Posted by: gap | 2008/10/15

GAD

Hi CS,

I have just read up on the treatment for GAD which I have been diagnosed with. Although I have a full time job (minium wage) and medical aid. I still will not be able to afford treatment as in medication and thearapy. Long term treatment that is. Can I be treated in hospital for GAD? I am covered by medical for 21 days in hospital for a mental disorder.
I don' t know what else to do. I need help as the worry is really becoming too much. I could only afford 4 thearapy sessions last year, but they were not enough. Can you advise me please.

Thank you.

THis is actually one of the stupidities of the medical Aid rules. It is often cheaper to admit someone to hospital unnecessarily, than to give them much cheaper treatment as an outpatient. Check on the availability of self-help books to add to therapy, and call FAMSA who may be able to find yopu a CBT oriented therapist ( no other form of therapy for GAD is as effective ) who may have more reasonable rates charged. Medication with a drug otherwise used to treat depression, an SSRI, can be provided by your GP as an outpatient. ANd I don't think your hospital coverage would include therapy of the sort you need