Question
Posted by: sharn | 2008/07/26

G.A.D

Hi, I have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for a really long time and only recently it is getting so bad I feel like I want to curl up into a ball and just cry, I feel sick all the time.. Im rtying to carry on with my life but im anxious all the time and I dont even know why, I feel fearful all the time and I cant cope anymore. Is there anyway around this? How do I cope with this and do I need medication? I dont know anymore, I have already had an eating disorder, a nervous breakdown and been socially isolated from dropping out of school due to not coping, please help me

There are so many ways round this, it's a shame you haven't yet received the right treatment. The first step would be to see a good local shrink for a comprehensive, in-person assessment, and then a discussion of treatment options based on the results of that assessment. You mention an eating disorder, but not how it was treated ; some effective treatments which help eating disorders could also be adapted to help an Anxiety Disorder. The social isolation could be related to social anxiety, a common part of the disabilities caused by anxiety. A "nervous breakdown" is a vague term, and without knowing exactly how that affected you, its hard to know, but it could have represented a temporary worsening of the anxiety disorder, perhaps with some Depression ( the two quite often go together ). Some drugs used in the treatment o Depression and Anxiety Disorders can help, as can Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) and the combination would be most likely to suit you. SO, see a shrink asap, and start getting better and staying better