Posted by: Marc | 2009-02-09

Futon beb VS regular bed

Hi Doc,

I am searching for a new bed. I love comfort when it comes to a there a big health benefit in a futon vs a conventional matress? Which of the two would you recommend...? as there is this perception the harder the mattress the better it is for your back...

please advise...many thanks

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Hard is not necessarily good. Hard beds can be very uncomfortable and do little to support the spine in a natural recumbant posture. Some people on the other hand relate that they sleep best on a very firm mattress. Best way to judge for yourself is to lie on a few of the mattresses you are considering - feel which one is the most comfortable. Too soft is also not advisable - thus a gently firm mattress such as a pocket spring mattress or a good foam mattress (Cloud 9) is preferable.