Question
Posted by: Mom | 2009/11/24

Fussy toddler

My son just turned 4 and is still a very fussy eater. I give him 1 bottle of S26 milk just to be sure that he won' t be undernourished. I still force him to have a bite or 2 (sometimes even 3) of our supper. He usually vomits when I try to give him more than that.
I' ve tried pediasure but he hates the taste. Is the formula milk bad for him at this stage - up to what age can toddlers drink formula milk?

Dear Mom
Children of 4 years should be eating a normal diet with most of the basic foods that adults consume and drinking either cow's milk or soya milk (if they have a lactose or milk protein allergy). Your son is too old to drink a bottle. Now one of the most important things to keep in mind when it comes to young children and their intake of solid foods is that they have a small stomach capacity, which means they need to eat small helpings 6 or more times a day. If he vomits when you give him more this is an indication that his stomach is full and it is no use forcing him to eat more at one sitting. Because you are struggling with getting your son to eat and he is still drinking a bottle at the age of 4 years, I would recommend that you take him to a a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess his growth and present food intake and help you adjust to weaning him off that bottle and changing over to normal eating. The dietitian will also be able to judge if your lad has any food allergies.

2

Dear Mom

Posted by: May | 2009/11/24

is it possible he has some kind of intolerance to a food? my brother was a VERY fussy eater as a toddler (although he also had a consistent runny stomach and clear failure to thrive) and was eventually diagnosed with celiac disease which is a gluten (found in wheat oats rye and barley) intolerance. When he was pulled off all gluten containing foods he ate like a horse. Its almost as if his body knew that the bread etc was bad for him.

i' d be interested in what diet doc thinks of this too?

Reply to May