Question
Posted by: Hypo child | 2008/10/18

Fussy child with hypoglycemia, 2yr old

My daughter of 2 years have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, but she does not want to eat often. Do you have any tips for me on what is good snacks for her which she is likely to eat? She has no problem with drinking, so I give her yogi-sip or milk. But I am worried that she is lacking good food...

Dear Hypo Child
I do think that you should consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because your 2-year-old lassie needs to have a low glycaemic index (GI) diet worked out for her. If she is having yogi-sip and milk then these 2 foods are low-GI and highly nutritious (use low-fat varieties to prevent her from gaining too much weight). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. She can eat small portions of deciduous fruit such as apples, pears, plums, citrus fruit such as oranges and dried fruit like dates, nuts, Provitas, popcorn (low-fat), low-fat muesli and other low-GI foods, but make sure that she does not eat too much of these foods as some are high in energy like nuts and dried fruit, which can lead to excessive weight gain.