Posted by: Conita | 2009-01-18

Fusion and decompresion back S1-L4

Good day,

I am 38 years old and have had to go through the above operation about 9 weeks ago. I am 1.82 m tall and weigh 63 kg. Before the operation I was quite active in the gym with weight training and cardio (bike and stepper). What I would like to know is what will I be able to do in the gym from now on? Will I be able to do any weight training? Cardio? Will pilates be a good way to go?

I desperately need some advise on the way going forward as I don' t want to pick up weight after my triumph in loosing 36 kg!

Thanking you in advance,

Conita van Rensburg

Hi Conita

I hate to pass the buck, but on these kinds of questions, I have to. The doctor who assessed, suggested surgery, pehraps even performed it, is by far in the best position to assist with the rehabilitation.

I suspect that if you rehab correct, and recover, then you should be able to do most activities, barring those that place very large strain on the back (though these kinds of things are probably not what you were doing before anyway). But there's no reason why you cannot continue on the bike and stepper, though the key is timing - you might be pushing too soon to attempt to ride, and perhaps a week or two of water based work will be good. Same for Pilates - it will be very good, it's a question of whether you're ready. ANd that's something only that doctor would be able to tell you!

Posted by: nico | 2009-01-31

Hi had my back fusion 10 years ago since te opp i had pain in right sholder and now it keeps getting worse and keeps me awake wats the best painkiller ican use

Reply to nico