Question
Posted by: Adrian | 2010-12-09

Fused bone

Good Day,

I just want to get more information regarding a fused bone, I was involved in a motor vehicle accident and broke my middle finger at the second joint from the top. Whilst I was in hospital going to surgery, the surgeon fused the bone together at that joint. Now I’ m unable to hold a fist and if I had to had a fist it looks like I’ m showing you the middle finger. I have been to a orthopaedic specialist and he advise me that this cannot be repair by at this day and age I’ m hoping to get a solution. I have the X-rays.

Please can you refer my to the best orthopaedic specialist in SA.

Kind Regards,
Adrian

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

The orthopedic hand surgeon whom I have a very high regard for is Dr Martin Wells in Cape Town

1
Posted by: Dr JL Crane | 2010-12-18

Dear Adrian,

A joint replacement could help your problem, but this depends on how long your finger has been stiff for and what function you expect from it.

Mike solomons and steve carter are two of the best hand surgeons based at Vincent Palotti hospital in Cape Town.

Jason Crane

Reply to Dr JL Crane