Posted by: B | 2009-06-18

Further issues

Hi Doc Bets

Thanks so much for the feedback on my posts yesterday about my diarrea and Glucophage and Xenical etc. I have a few other issues that I hope you can shed some light on for me.

For the last few months I have been suffering with very heavy and painful periods - much worse than before. I have been off the pill now for almost 2 years. Do you think this could also be a symptom of PCOS along with the insulin resistance. I also tend to pick up weight very easy for example I had some Malva pudding on the weekend and the next day I weighed myself and I was over a kg up. It doesn' t take much for me to pick up weight. If I eat anything wrong it tells on the scale the very next day - its very depressing.

Getting back to the diarrea story I forgot to mention yesterday that last year I had my gall bladder removed. How would this affect my eating patterns and would this also cause diarrea - I am not really clear on what the consequences of having a gall bladder removed are, or do you think it could be a food intolerance that I have developed or IBS or is it just that I am taking oil supplements and eating too much oil in my diet, and also what would cause the gas/flatulence? I have only had this diarrea and gassy problem for about a year now. When I have these bouts of diarrea and also sometimes in between my bum gets so itchy - what do you think could be causing the itchiness on my bum?

Lastly, for the last couple of years I have been having a very bad reaction to mosquito bites. I try not to scratch but the bite itches for weeks and it drives me insane. After the bite a couple of days can go past with no problem and then all of a sudden it starts to itch again - a raging itch. What do you think causes this to happen. Mozzies also seem to be attracted to me like you can' t believe. I could be standing with 5 other people and none of them get bitten - only me.

Once again sorry for so many questions and such a long post but I look forward to your reply.

Dear B
Heavy painful periods can be a symptom of PCOS. If you don't have a gallbladder your bowel will not be able to break down fat as effectively so it is better to eat a low fat diet. I think you are maybe getting in too much oily /fatty foods. The itchiness in the bum could be diet related or due to sweating that causes a bit of skin irritation. You can try phenergan or anthisan cream on the mozzi bites - some people are just more "attractive" to mosquitos - they are drawn by chemicals from your skin.