Posted by: Abie | 2009-04-01

Fungal Nails

How do you prevent fungal nails. I have one toe nail, and one finger nail that has it. The finger nail had to be removed.

Dear Abie
You can't really prevent it, but fungus tends to grow in warm wet conditions, so if you work in water a lot, rather wear plastic gloves. You can also get this from contaminated nailproducts at nail salons. Treatment is a 3 months course of Lamisil pills or antifungal medication that works like a nailpolish.

Posted by: BMJ | 2009-04-02

There is a product called Mykosept sold by LCN. They have salons all over the country - their headoffice is in Pretoria tel 012 809 1575. It prevents you from getting an infection - which is very easy. Last very long and if you have an infection, it helps to kill it so it can grow out. I have a nail salon and have used it for a long time. My clients that use it swears by it and I personally use it before and after every client as a precaution. It is worth using it and costs approx R135

Reply to BMJ