Question
Posted by: Shaz | 2010/08/18

Fungal Infection

Thank u for your response. More details : she is a boerboel 2 year old and the " fungal " infection"  is on her left leg on the elbow. A few days ago it was the size of a 10c piece and now a few weeks later the size of a R5-00 coin. It does not seem to bug or pain her. Took her to the vet this morning who suggested surgery tomorrow morning at 8h00am, but I wanted to have other options.

Hi Shaz Fungal infections. The correct way of diagnostically confirming a fungal infection is to do a) Wood's Lamp(not very effective) b)Microscopic examination of the hair and c) Cultural test(takes 3 weeks for result - most effective test). If the tests are positive then I would treat systemically with Itraconizole, Terbinafine, Fluconazole or Grisofulvin. Topical treatment with lime sulphur dips has been reported in the literature although I have never used this technique. I hope this info can assist you with your decision. If you are not happy with the diagnosis then go for a second. I hope you appreciate that I cannot comment on procedure your vet is wishing to conduct. I can only suggest what we normally do as standard procedure. opinion.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2010/08/18

I suspect you''re ok with the diagnosis but not the suggested treatment, and I can''t say I blame you. I''ve not heard of surgery for this type of thing before - I think I''d either go the medical route, frankly, or go for a second opinion.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/08/18

Reply to CyberVet