Question
Posted by: Juanita | 2010/08/12

Functional constipation

A play therapist thinks my 5 year old might have functional constipation. How can I treat this?

Hallo Juanita
Ensures that she eats high fibre foods and get in enough water (6 glasses) per day. Then give her lactulose syrup 10 mls at night and ensure that she goes to the toilet after a meal on the same time every day - let her sit for 10 minutes, reading a book or drawing so that she relaxes. Don't make it a big issue.
Signs of functional constipation are big bulky stools only once or twice a week, and soiling of her panties, often due to soft stool leaking past the hard stool in the rectum.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/12

Hallo Juanita