Our expert says:
A bottle of alcohol a day is far too much. Specifically as a woman, you are increasing your chances of organ damage.
More importantly, if you suffer from clinical depression, you should not be drinking so much, as alcohol is a depressant.
You mention that you are alarmed at how much alcohol you consume when on your own. If you are worried, you should cut down.
If you can't cut down, you have a problem. But why don't you first try and cut down, it is probably possible.
Ask yourself the following twenty questions, answer them as honestly as you can.
1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation?
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
6. Have you got into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare?
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty sleeping?
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
14. Is drinking jeopardising your job or business?
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
16. Do you drink alone?
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of drinking?
If you have answered YES to any one of these questions, then you are possibly an alcoholic.
If you have answered YES to any two, then you are most likely an alcoholic.
If you have answered YES to any three, or more, then you are an alcoholic.
These questions were devised by Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.
Should you need to discuss this any further email firstname.lastname@example.org
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.