Question

Functional addict?

I go through stages where I take tranquiliers, about 5-6 a day and cannot do without them. I then go for weeks where I drink copious amounts of whisky starting after work, I cook and manage to function normally and not feel drunk at all and no one can really notice any effects...

I used cocaine years back for about 6 months everyday, just decided to stop and did without help.

I hold down a great job, run a household and family.
I am now on an anti depressant and have not taken any tranq''s for a month. But the last week I am popping adcodol pain pills, about 4 a day for a slight headache. Also take them before bed at night. I have sleeping pills too, but don''t take them at all.

I take alcohol everyday after work till I have my tea and go to bed. Then on occasion I decide to not drink for a month, and I do this no problem.

Never in the weekday do I take alcohol, except week ends where I will have a cider to start at about 11h30.

Is there such a thing as a functional addict?

Expert ImageArchive

There is no function in addiction. Only an illusion of function - that is all. You might be "functioning", but can you imagine how much more you can achieve when not using at all?

This type of addiction is a very lonely one. It's one of quiet desperation and cold fear, always wondering when the wheels will come off.

If you have ambivalent feelings about using, why not just stop?

If you can't stop and stay stopped, then you have a problem.

To call yourself a functioning addict is a form of denial. Looking at your cocktail of alcohol, tablets and drugs, it is obvious that you are playing with fire.

You are simply extending your emotional suffering by continuing this charade of being a functioning addict.

I have been in recovery for a few years and I have seen many addicts fooling themselves by claiming that they are functioning addicts.

The fact that you have the car, the house, the job...means very little, because the emotional turmoil that comes with this negates it all.

Most functioning addicts ultimately pay a dear price for their denial. They suffer their whole lives always wondering when the fairy tale will explode, or one day, it does actually explode. Poof. And everything is gone.

My friend, I urge you to speak to someone. You can phone Taryn on Tel: 021 790 7779 or email her at taryn@harmonyclini.co.za

Nobody needs to know. You can also connect with someone in AA or NA near you, just Google them for a venue near you. Once again, nobody needs to know.

Stay well
Herman

1
Posted by: Addictions Expert Forum | 2010/03/19

Stay well
Herman

Reply to Addictions Expert Forum