Question
Posted by: John | 2009-04-15

function of the Diaphragm

A couple of years ago a doctor diagnosed one half of my diaphragm as not functioning. I had flu, my GP listened to my lungs then referred me to a specialist for x rays and a barium meal. The x rais showed a dark shadow on my left lung. The assumption was made that a nerve got damaged years ago when I was involved in a car accident. The specialist told me that nothing could be done to rectify the problem. My question is, what will the long term effect be on my lung?

Dear John
Your diaphragm is a muscle that causes negative pressure in your chest when you breathe, inflating the lung. A lung that is not inflated 100% has a higher risk of getting infections, so you are one of those people who should take a flu vaccine and pneumonia vaccine yearly. Otherwise it should not affect your lung.